As a food chemist and dietitian, Dr. Crowe’s research focuses on evaluating bioactive food compounds and their impact on nutrition-related outcomes primarily through
- Analysis of phytochemicals with emphasis on retention of bioactivity following food processing and metabolism
- Impact analysis of bioactive food compounds on mitigating oxidative and inflammatory stress
Crowe KM. Optimizing Protein Precipitation Efficiency for Assessing the Contribution of Low Molecular Weight Compounds to Serum Antioxidant Capacity. Clinical Biochemistry. ePub Ahead of Fall 2014 Print. DOI: 10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2014.06.021
Crowe KM, Allison DB. Evaluating Bioactive Food Components in Obesity and Cancer Prevention. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. ePub Ahead of Fall 2014 Print. DOI: 10.1080/10408398.2013.878305
Crowe KM, Newton J, Kaltenboeck B, Johnson C. Oxidative Stress Responses of Gulf Killifish Exposed to Hydrocarbons from the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill: Considering Potential Implications on Aquatic Food Resources. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 2014;33:370-374.
Crowe KM, Murray E. Defining a Fruit Serving: Comparing the Antioxidant Density of Whole Fruit versus 100% Fruit Juice. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2013;113:1096-1103.
Crowe KM, Francis C. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Position Paper on Functional Foods. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2013;113:1096-1103.
Ellis A, Crowe KM, Lawrence J. Obesity-related Inflammation: Implications for Older Adults. Journal of Nutrition in Gerontology and Geriatrics. In press, October 2013.
Breshears K, Crowe KM. Sensory and Textural Evaluation of Gluten-Free Bread Substituted with Amaranth and Montina™ Flour. Journal of Food Research. 2013;2(4):1-10.
Neggers YN, Crowe KM. Prenatal Care and other Risk Factors Associated with Low Birth Weight: A Comparative Assessment between Cuba and Alabama. J Am Board Fam Medicine. 2013;26(2):187-195.
Crowe KM, Skonberg D, Bushway A, Baxter A. Application of Ozone Sprays as a Strategy to Improve the Microbial Safety and Quality of Salmon Fillets. Food Control. 2012;25:464-468.
Crowe KM, Bushway A, Davis-Dentici K. Impact of Postharvests Treatments, Chlorine and Ozone, Coupled with Low-Temperature Frozen Storage on the Antimicrobial Quality of Lowbush Blueberries. LWT – Food Science and Technology. 2012;47:213-215.
Crowe KM, Bushway A, Bushway R, Davis-Dentici K. Comparison of single oxidants versus advanced oxidation processes as chlorine-alternatives for wild blueberry processing. International J Food Microbiology. 2007;116:25-31.
Crowe KM, Bushway A, Bushway R, Davis-Dentici K. Microbial degradation of phosmet on blueberry fruit and in aqueous systems by indigenous bacterial flora on lowbush blueberries (Vaccinium angustifolium). J Food Science. 2007;72:293-299.
Crowe KM, Bushway A., Bushway R, Hazen R. Evaluation of chemical and photochemical oxidation processes for degradation of phosmet on lowbush blueberries (Vaccinium angustifolium). J Ag Food Chemistry. 2006;54:9608-9613.
Funding – External (2010-present)
- Allison D, Crowe KM. (2013-2014). Functional Foods: Evaluating Bioactive Food Components in Obesity and Cancer Prevention. NIH R13 National Cancer Institute, Office of Dietary Supplements – PA-10-071.
- Allison DB, Crowe KM. (2012). Scientific Approaches for Increasing Research Integrity in Nutrition and Energetics. Conference Grant. The Coca-Cola Company.
- Crowe KM, Lawrence J, Meyer MK. (2012-2013). Improving Dietary Protein Intake among Residents of Long-Term Care Facilities through the Development and Sensory Testing of Protein-Enhanced Soups. Nestlé USA.
- Bullard A, Crowe, KM, Johnson C. (2011). Biomarker Prospecting: DHOS hydrocarbon and dispersant discharge in the Gulf of Mexico using Gulf killifish as an aquatic model sentinel for aquatic and human physiological response to toxicants. British Petroleum Co. Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative.
Funding – Internal (2010-present)
- Crowe KM (PI). Mitigating Obesity-Related Sequelae: Does Dietary Antioxidant Intake Matter? Research Grants Committee, University of Alabama, 2012-2014.
- Crowe, KM. (PI). Phenolic Content and Antioxidant Density of Solid Fruit versus 100% Juice Servings. Crenshaw Endowed Research Grant, University of Alabama, 2012.
- Crowe, KM (PI). Impact Assessment of Flavonoids on Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) as a Biomarker of Oxidant Status. Crenshaw Endowed Research Grant, University of Alabama, 2011.
- Crowe, KM (PI). Collaborative Learning Research Grant, University of Alabama, 2010.